Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Self-Hatred and Sameness

Most of us wouldn’t say we hate ourselves. But, if we’re being honest, we might agree that there are things about ourselves that we hate. There are things about me that I hate. Not just frizzy hair kinds-of-things, but character defects that are deep-seated. But I haven’t really seen my self-hatred as a problem. I figured, there are a lot of things about me that are worthy of hatred—I don’t really hate me, I hate those things about me. But it’s ok because everyone else hates them too—even God. So I can keep on hating them.

But today, as I was reading Brennan Manning’s book Abba’s Child, the thought occurred to me that if I hate something in me, I will hate it in you. And if I truly want to be a person of grace and mercy and hospitality, there is no room for self-hatred. If I hate me, I hate you. If I judge myself, I judge you. If I condemn myself, I condemn you. If I expect perfection in me, I expect it in you. We are the same.

It made me think about how I have always been uncomfortable when people judge and condemn my ex-husband for his affair. Get angry at the tragedy of it, the injury, the injustice – yes – but condemn him, and I’m not with you. An old friend of ours recently messaged me on facebook about it, perhaps trying to commiserate, but it came across more as accusing and censuring my ex. His attitude bothered me. I didn’t know why at first, but now I realize it is because I know we are the same. My ex-husband was the scapegoat, his fault more visible, but we are the same. I am no better. There is something wrong with all of us deep down. We’re the same. When they condemn him, they condemn me. I am a liar. I am a cheater. I am passive. I am weak-willed. I am an idolater. I am unfaithful. Like him. Like you.

When we don’t accept these things in ourselves, we deny them, enabling us to see ourselves as different, as better—allowing us to judge and condemn others and claim superiority. And it all comes back to self-hatred. If we can accept ourselves fully as God in fact does, our whole self including all the things that are unlovely and worthy of hate, then we can accept others because we see that they are like us. If we can extend ourselves grace and mercy, then we can extend it to others.

So really, my show of condemnation toward others is a show of self-hatred. And all my self-hatred is a condemnation of others. It is the same because we are the same. Henri Nouwen says, “It is not proving ourselves to be better than others but confessing to be just like others that is the way to healing and reconciliation.” Until we recognize our sameness, we will not be people of grace. And ultimately, grace is what transforms us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more things change, the more they seem to stay the same. I think it’s important to know that at some level, we’re all the same. But I also think that it’s our differences that make finding God’s grace possible. While we all experience similar emotions, similar weaknesses, we share a lot of the same strengths. People are different by degree. Some people have terrible weaknesses, some have incredible strength’s. This is why communities and Civilization/Cultures are so important. They allow an opportunity for the strong to help the weak find God’s grace. If we were all the same and could do it on our own, we wouldn’t need churches, or interesting blogs on the internet.

Lynnsy said...

hi angie,
this is so random, but i came across your blog from the pictures of paintings that you have posted of mine. very honored to of made your blog. you have some great, encouraging thoughts to share. i wanted to let you know that the link to my website is no longer available and you might want to update it to link to my blog. i haven't updated it in awhile, but it's a lot more new paintings from the old website. i'm curious how you heard about me? are you local? i'm in muncie, IN.
anyway, God Bless and have a great night!
Lynnsy Terrill Deferio(i got married)

angie said...

Lynnsy,
Thanks so much for commenting. I noticed your link is no longer available when I tried to link one of your paintings to it recently. I will link to your blog. Thanks. I love your work! I actually just discovered your work through an online search. They are beautiful and I love the colors, the style, the symbolism, and the spiritual aspect of them. I'm up in the Chicago-area. Do you have your work in local galleries or do you do any art shows? I just took a look at some of the new art on your blog--incredible paintings. I guess I should ask if you mind me using your work on my blog. I have actually wondered how artists would feel about that. Thanks for stopping by. Congrats on your marriage.
Angie

Lynnsy said...

hi angie,
well that's nice to know that doing an online search, someone would find me. sometimes you feel like a needle in a haystack. well, i've only had some shows in indiana galleries. in a couple months, i'm quitting my day job so that i can do painting full time. maybe more opportunities will come in the future. anyway, yes, feel free to post my paintings. i don't know how other artist feel, but any exposure is good in my opinion.
Blessings to you, Angie
great blog too! keep it up!
-Lynnsy