Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2009

smokers and frauds

I often feel like a fraud. I think it comes from being human. And redeemed. Being both is tricky. It would be much less ambiguous if I was completely perfect or completely screwed up. But as it is, I am neither. Or both, really.

So sometimes, this feeling of being a fraud is valid. Sometimes I am a fraud. I pretend not to be human. Or not to be redeemed.

When I pretend not to be human, I talk about God and myself in a way that impresses church-people. I’m kind of good at it. Actually I’m really good at it. I know the right phrases, what to emphasize, what to leave out—-how to gloss over my humanity while accentuating my perfection. I’ve been trained well in the art of manipulating Christians to get applause and pats on the back. I’ve been doing it my whole life. You might even say I’m addicted to it. I’m addicted to the admiration of Christians.

As a human, I like to smoke. But I’m not a smoker. I learned long ago that smoking would not fit with my strategy of winning the approval of church-people. And since I don’t need competing addictions, I haven’t taken up smoking. Yet, the other day, I smoked a cigarette with a friend—-in front of Christians. Because of my addiction to approval, I agonized over it for a while (although, I have to admit I enjoyed the seeming scandal of it a bit too). Yet it was a step toward freedom.

Freedom looks different for different people. I’m realizing that as my sense of self and worth comes only from being accepted as a child of God, I become more free in my choices because they are based less and less on addiction to anyone else’s opinion and more on a desire to love as Christ loves-–not that our motives can ever be completely pure. So, in pursuing Christ-likeness, making my friend feel welcome and received and helping her to open up by smoking with her was a way of accomplishing that. The sin would have been giving in to my concern over the censure of other Christians.

I was well aware that my choice would not meet the approval of some, yet, I was quite certain that by sharing that moment with her, I was showing grace and hospitality. I am reassured by remembering that Christ himself scandalized the religious of his day by doing things they would have found morally compromising in order to extend grace and love (breaking the Sabbath, partying with sinners).

I've had to change my understanding of the word hypocrite. Instead of conjuring images of those who claim to be Christians, but who smoke, drink, or swear, as I grew up thinking, I now think about those of us who do not give permission for Christians to express their humanity in front of us. I am a hypocrite when I pretend not to be human at all. Then I am the fraud.

I remember when I started going to this church in Portland several years ago, Imago Dei, I thought I might have to take up smoking to get in with the Pastor. He was always hanging out with the smokers on the front steps just before the service—-probably trying to evangelize I thought. Because Christians don’t smoke.

But it was there where I first encountered people who were embracing both their humanity and their redemption. It was there where I first felt that it was safe to be a sinner, and therefore it was safe to admit my need, and therefore it was where I first truly understood the gospel of redemption. I didn’t fit in as a fraud there. There, my addiction was revealed.

So, now, I don’t want to be a fraud. I don’t want to attract frauds. I want to draw those who are open about their humanity by being open about mine. That doesn’t always mean smoking, but it does mean letting go of my need to have the admiration and approval of others—-especially those in the church. If I can be human in front of Christians and redeemed in front of non-Christians, if I can be both in front of anyone, without my addiction to approval, then maybe you won’t want to be a fraud around me, maybe I can be that safe place—where you can be human and where the gospel of redemption can unfold in your life.

2 comments:

Reese said...

Good thoughts. I too am a fraud, but in different ways.

Anonymous said...

Excellent article.

This makes me think of the importance of Discernment. Sometimes it’s not so much the sin that is causing me to falter on the Path to God, but that I cannot discern that I have sinned. It’s a long, long Path, and there are many pitfalls and traps and detours, as I have personally discovered. What makes being part of a good Christian community such a powerful resource is that you have access to other sets of eyes who help you see pitfalls coming, who help you out of traps that you are stuck in without the holier-than-thou attitude. Drinking and smoking are not inherently evil, un-Christian things, but they can lead in that direction without discernment and understanding on how they affect you. Just because we all take a slightly different Path to God doesn’t mean we have to travel alone, or that we can’t stop and have a party once in a while.
Being a fraud is far more dangerous and subtle, I think. Especially here on the internet. There is a running gag in an on-line forum I frequent, “There are no girls on the Internet!” Too many people fall into the trap of pretending to be someone they are not and while entertaining for a lark or temporary joke, can lead to a serious problem. How can you find your true self if you spend your time trying to be someone else? I think our culture trains us to always, always be thinking about what others would think of our actions/appearance. Getting out of that mindset is brutally difficult, because finding ourselves is either too hard, or maybe too many people are afraid they won’t like what they find. But, it’s seductive too, because, to a certain extent, we need to see ourselves in the mirror of other people’s eyes to find our own faults and fix them.

Sorry for so many words, I find if try and get all my ideas out at once regardless of whether they make sense, I can always go back and straighten them out. Forgiveness is one of the great things about being Christian.