Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Until Then

Death loss
is not what I thought, not what they taught. Yes, it’s grief
and tragedy. It’s sadness and sympathy.
But not so much over
your death
as over

your life

that I didn’t know,

that you never showed,

that maybe no one knew,

not even you.

All your greatness, hidden by shame.
All your heartbreak, hidden with blame.
All in ashes. Only worn out jokes and guitars remain.
Nothing risked, but all is stained.

I wonder if now you see clearly, and what you would say
now that you see, and who you would be
now that you’re free, and how things would be different
back then if you had not been

hidden.

But I’ll see you again.
Until then
I miss you, Dad. I always have.

2 comments:

Reese said...

Sorry the comment deleted by Heath was actually me. Another case of the wrong person signed in.

What I had said was...

This is beautiful and of course I am now crying. I love you my sister and I love how you have expressed these thoughts here.

Lara Moore said...

Amazing! That's all I can express, amazing!